<$BlogRSDUrl$>

"Pay close attention to that man behind the curtain!"

Saturday, July 31, 2004

Just say "Fuck no!" to religion

But vote for John Kerry anyway
It's been a long work week for me, so I haven't even seen much of John Kerry's speech before the Democratic National Convention on TV, but these are some quotes I particularly appreciated (according to a transcript on Yahoo! News:
* My fellow Americans, this is the most important election of our lifetime.

* [T]here is a right way and a wrong way to be strong. Strength is more than tough words.

* We need to make America once again a beacon in the world. We need to be looked up to and not just feared.

* We need to lead a global effort against nuclear proliferation to keep the most dangerous weapons in the world out of the most dangerous hands in the world.

* Our purpose now is to reclaim democracy itself. We are here to affirm that when Americans stand up and speak their minds and say America can do better, that is not a challenge to patriotism; it is the heart and soul of patriotism.

* Let's honor this nation's diversity; let's respect one another; and let's never misuse for political purposes the most precious document in American history, the Constitution of the United States.

* I don't want to claim that God is on our side.

* What if we have a president who believes in science [...]?
I'd like to add to that, "What if we had a president who was bold enough to stop believing in that stuff that I threw out with Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, and the Easter Bunny so long ago?"

Bonus: A video of John Kerry's speech --including the awesome opening line, "I'm John Kerry, and I'm reporting for duty" -- can be seen here, via C-SPAN.
eXTReMe Tracker
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?